Mediation is a form of alternate dispute resolution where a neutral third party, the mediator, assists the parties in discussing and resolving their dispute. The mediator does not decide on a resolution for the parties but instead helps the parties reach an agreement and resolution that is mutually beneficial and acceptable.
Benefits of Mediation
Settling disputes through mediation, instead of litigation through the court can be mutually beneficial to both parties involved, along with many other benefits:
- Greater Control of the Outcome: With mediation, both parties have more control over the dispute’s outcome because they are negotiating their own settlements. In court, parties must accept the judgment made, which often leads to dissatisfaction of one or both parties. Both parties must come to a mutually agreed-upon resolution with mediation, and a settlement cannot be forced. Agreements can be completely customized to fit both parties’ interests.
- Privacy & Confidentiality: Unlike traditional litigation through court, mediation is a confidential process. Most court cases are public record, and details of the case can be easily found, which can be concerning for both parties’ reputations. Mediators keep all information throughout the mediation private, and nothing is recorded or made available to the public.
- Faster Resolutions: Trials are often delayed and can drag out for years. Mediation can expedite the resolution, which benefits all parties involved.
- Relationship Preservation: In civil disputes and labor and employment law cases, disputes often occur between parties in an ongoing or previous work relationship. Traditional litigation can often strain these relationships, making it hard to work together again or resulting in a hostile relationship termination. Working relationships can be preserved since mediated settlements can peacefully address both parties’ interests and come to an agreeable solution.
- Reduced Cost: The traditional litigation process often has high and unpredictable costs, on top of any damages that must be paid. Mediation services can decrease the costs of resolving a dispute, as costs are significantly reduced from settling through the court.
When handled properly, mediation has a high success rate of resolutions. Peterpaul Law offers mediation services to those who face disputes and want to avoid litigation and going to trial. Our expert and experienced mediators will help both parties negotiate their issues and reach an agreeable resolution. Contact us today at (732) 455-8080.